Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Election 2008

Let's get two things straight upfront. First, I have never supported McCain. Second, I do support and am voting for the Obama/Biden ticket. But, and I know that I'm risking my "I'm a liberal" bumper sticker status here, I've never really felt comfortable sharing the same political space with the rosy-cheeked, bright-eyed, tail a wagging members of the cult of Obama either. Call me jaded, hell call me conservative if you'd like, but I just don't see a lot of REAL change a happening while Congress remains the same (old, white, stagnant), while skinheads plot the death of Obama and a large group of black students, while we waste time talking about the legal definition of marriage, while we lag behind the world in education, while we put individual and corporate profits ahead of working for the betterment of our community, etc. But, I will say that I believe Obama is capable of laying the foundation that is needed in order to see the kind of REAL change that many of us so desperately want to see.

Cult of Obama or not, what I do not want to see is McCain win. Maybe it's all the medication co-mingling in my system but I'm feeling a whole lot anxious and shaky about the upcoming election on Tuesday. To acknowledge the obvious = yes, I know that Obama leads in the most recent polls. However, as an informed citizen and teacher of history I know enough not to trust that this lead is nearly as strong as it needs to be to ensure a victory. I've also been obsessed with this map - watching it, studying it, waiting to see if colors will change as we head toward Tuesday. I know it's a numbers game, but look at all that red! Then, I read this article this morning, which expresses some of the same opinions and concerns that I have held about Obama since his acceptance of the Democratic nomination. Weird co-winky-dink? Probably. But it has me worried. And, very, very interested.

No comments: