Monday, March 09, 2009

Rockwoods Reservation

When the weather was as nice as it was this past weekend, you just have to get out of the house and do something outside. Saturday was a bust for some reason but we headed out to Rockwoods Reservation on Sunday, even though some potentially bad storms were in the forecast. Glad we took the chance. Aside from a few raindrops and some wind, it was a gorgeous day.

I hadn't been to Rockwoods before Sunday but one of the first things that I noticed about the terrain was how much it reminded me of the Mark Twain Forest in the Ozarks. Way back when, a few times a year, Bill and I would go canoeing on the Eleven Point River, which runs through the Mark Twain, and/or hiking along the Big Piney Trail, which is also located in the Mark Twain. The Eleven Point is a beautiful, spring-fed, cold little river that everybody has to canoe at least once in their lifetime. In fact, a portion of the Eleven Point is designated a National Wild and Scenic Riverways System. But, I digress. Here are some photos from Rockwoods this weekend.




2 comments:

Kathy G said...

We live about 20 minutes away from Rockwoods Reservation, but I haven't been there for years. I don't know why; it's a great natural area.

Your pictures, as always, are beautiful.

Rebecca A. said...

Rockwoods is fantastic and usually not too crowded. As a city dweller I like being able to take my 3 year old here or to Babler State Park to enjoy the woods without having drive for hours. Where you able to go inside the larger caves?