Thursday, July 09, 2015

Wedding Culture Today

One of my favorite time wasters is browsing Etsy and Pinterest for the latest trends.  I've spent many an hour putting all my favorite finds into neatly curated lists, such as "Sweet Caroline" or "Walls and Wreaths" or "Mostly Pillows." One of the things that I've noticed in the last few years that has become increasingly popular on Etsy and Pinterest are these cheesy and/or same o' same o' wedding ideas.  Granted, I know that "cheesy and same o' same o'" are subjective and we may not agree on what is "cheesy" or "same o' same o'".  

Back to the ideas though...sometimes, even when you see them a million time, they still seem like fun ideas.  You never seem to tire of them.  For example, if I got a wedding redo, I'd have it outside with a kind of boho feel -- a zillion string lights in trees and and everywhere, handpicked wildflowers in mismatched Goodwill glass jar finds, big plywood dance floor with a faux roof of fabric streamers and more string lights (unless I could find a bard), Moroccan poufs and pillows everywhere, and I could go on and on and on but you probably can visualize, at least to some extent, what I'm describing. And, if you can't, go on over to Pinterest or Etsy and search and you'll see what I'm talking about.  But, then there are those bazillion cheesy misses.  Womp, womp.  The big ones for me are the ones I call the "Adoration of the Bride" props. You know, things to make the bride feel even that much more center or attention and entitled.  Don't get me wrong, it is the bride's big day and special she should feel.  But, I cannot stand stuff like this:




Now I'm sure that a lot of people love this stuff but just looking at it makes me ill. Totally not my style. And, I'd just die if I had to be in a wedding in which I had to actually wear something like that. Nope. I'd just have to back down. Couldn't do it. Sorry.  There's actually a lot of baby gear like this too. The first thing that comes to mind is the portable cloth cover that you take to stores with shopping carts. You line the front child seat with it and it covers the germs or pinchy corners or whatever, and then you do your shopping with the peace of mind that your $30 fabric brought. Maybe a younger version of myself could appreciate products like these.....

No comments: