Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Miss Saigon

Every couple of years Miss Saigon runs at The Muny. I'd never been very interested in seeing it because I'm not a huge fan of this kind of musical (i.e. the kind that go from song to song with no actual spoken dialogue like opera--as opposed to say Grease which goes from song to dialogue to song). And, I knew absolutely nothing about Miss Saigon except that it probably had something to do with Vietnam. But, last night, we had free tickets to see it at the Muny and I reluctantly agreed to go.

It turned out to be a beautiful night! The weather was awesome--a cloudy 77 degrees! That almost never happens at The Muny. And the show. Where do I start? Acting = great. Singing = great. Set Design = great. Yet, I was kinda bored. I found myself voluntarily closing my eyes. But, then something happened....I got hooked! The story was awesome--heavy, cruel, wrenching. I started crying last night and I still haven't stopped. It's just so powerful in so many different ways. I want all my 20th Century Studies history students to see this. And you should too. Thanks for the tickets Mom Henske!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! Getting hooked on musical theatre is fabulous! :) And Miss Saigon is a wonderful one - always chokes me up. So, did they do the helicopter?

mksptcruz said...

My cousin jordan is in that show. he is one of the chorus that is along the background singing and dancing and being one of the city folk. I enjoyed your turtle park one too!