Saturday, April 05, 2008

Niki de Saint Phalle @ MOBOT


Fall is my favorite season of the year but spring is good too. The blossoms, gentle fragrances, cool breezes--It's all about the rebirth and, I gotta mention, the allergy problems (the latter is a nod to my inner curmudgeon, I apologize). So to soak in some springtime goodness, I took my first 2008 trip to the Missouri Botanical Garden. I had forgotten that they're putting up a new sculpture exhibit for the year. The sculptures are mosaic works by the artist Niki de Saint Phalle. I love the whimsy of her work which reminds me of a lot roadside attraction/insider art. I've always had a hard time resisting the pull of a good roadside attraction. I mean, seriously, who hasn't said, or heard someone say, something along the line of "Can we please stop to see the world's largest grotto made entirely of bottle caps and limestone?" BTW, does anyone else out there remember that PBS show out of KC called "Rare Visions and Roadside Attractions"? I was a huge fan. Anyway, if you get the chance, check out the Niki de Saint Phalle exhibit at MOBOT.

No comments: