Sunday, October 10, 2010

Book Review: Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield


Rob Sheffield's book is part memoir, part pop culture non-fiction. While the memoir part (Sheffield writes about his relationship with his wife and her unexpected death) touched me, much more than I expected it would, it was the pop culture, mix tape part that really, truly spoke to me. All those mix tapes! Many made, many received. Wow. The musical memories that this book brings back. But not just those formed around mix tapes. I remember whole albums that defined certain periods in my life; those that intensified specific moments or emotions. Certain singles, too, have had the same effect. Wow, again. That music has always been important in my life is entirely unquestionable. That I never realized how intertwined it is to my memories is surprising. Who knew that my life had a soundtrack! I'm not sure how this book ended up on my must-read list and why, once it did, it was ordered immediately. But I'm so glad that it did.

No comments: