Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making History

This is a day that we will all remember.

In the last few days, I've listened so many times to Dr King giving his "I Have a Dream" speech. I cannot remember a time when hearing his speech hasn't caused me to tear up. It's one of the most moving speeches in history because of its sentiment, its eloquence, and its power imagery. Naturally, Dr King's speech is even more powerful this year. Especially on this day. Inauguration Day.

I woke up this morning very exciting about what is about to happen today. And the tears came again. I wasn't alive to watch when man walked the moon or when Kennedy was shot or when Civil Rights protesters had food thrown on them at while protesting (peacefully) at lunch counters in Greensboro. But I am alive today to watch this moment and it makes me feel full of energy, full of hope, full of possibilities, and full of pride. It's a moment that somehow I knew I would watch, I just wasn't sure what it would look like or when it might happen. But I knew that it would.

So as emotional and powerful and historical this day has been for me, I started thinking about what it would feel like to be President Obama - Waking up, knowing that you are about to become the President of the United States, the first Black President of the United States. I cannot even image what he felt this morning.

This is a day that we all will remember.

1 comment:

a.eye said...

I was wondering the same thing this morning about what he might be feeling. Can't imagine all the emotions he and his family must be experiencing. And then once they see the huge crowds in front of them -- that should really be emotional.