Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Few Reasons Why I (Mostly) Love Missouri






























I really LOVE living in South City. The character, the community, the amenities. Wouldn't change it for anything most days. Sometimes, though, I really HATE living in Missouri. Conservatism (in almost every way), urban sprawl (in almost every corner), not in my backyard mentality (in almost every mind), billboards (in almost every scenic highway view), etc. Ugh! Ugh! But, if I wander off the beaten path, which I try to do as often as possible, I'm reminded of why living in Missouri isn't really THAT bad. I was reminded of this again on a recent fossil hunting trip. These photos were taken mid to late morning on an overcast day off of Highway 21 (Lemay Ferry) near High Ridge, Missouri. The road was recently cut and the fossil finding is at a premium. Amid the fallen limestone, I found lots of brachiopods and crinoids, which are typical fossil finds for Missouri.

No comments: